Prince played a stunning two-hour show at the Fox Theater on Saturday. It was announced only days before, at 10:30 p.m. on Wednesday, but the show still sold out in minutes. Those who snagged tickets got treated to a bunch of the Purple One's best-loved songs, such as "When Doves Cry," "Purple Rain," and "Sign 'O' the Times."
• A Bay Area radio station spent last weekend playing Nelly's 2002 smash hit "Hot in Herre" on endless loop. The stunt is common in the radio industry, but this one attracted global attention, its own Twitter hashtag, and a comment from the artist himself. The loop was slated to end at 5 p.m. Monday, when the Latin Mix station was to change formats.
• BottleRock Napa Valley answered a question burning in the minds of Bay Area OutKast fans: When is the Atlanta rap duo coming here? Now we know: sometime between May 30 and June 1, to play the second iteration of Napa's hometown music festival. Festival passes are available now, and single-day passes will go on sale in April.
• About that BottleRock lineup: It's a total '90s nostalgia-fest: There's OutKast, sure, but also Weezer, Third Eye Blind, Barenaked Ladies, Blues Traveler, Smash Mouth, Spin Doctors, Gin Blossoms, and Cracker. Here's hoping they're all limited to playing only their hit songs. And is there a chance other '90s alt-rock radio faves, like Space Hog, Goo Goo Dolls, Everclear, or Harvey Danger, could make the list?
• Tragedy struck South by Southwest last week when a drunk driver — Rashad Owens, a rapper in town to perform at the annual confab — drove through a police barrier and into a crowd, injuring 22 people and killing three, as of press time. Our heart goes out to the families of the victims and everyone affected by this awful incident. SXSW has launched a fund to assist the victims.
• The music and fashion worlds are grappling with the apparent suicide of L'Wren Scott, a fashion designer, model, and longtime girlfriend of Mick Jagger. In a statement, Jagger said he was "completely shocked and devastated by the news." The two had been dating since 2001.