Apparently the sterner stuff that ambition is supposed to be made of is no match for the Great Recession. And even the modest Mikaku sushi bar closed after 22 years on Grant, when its owners returned to Japan, apparently.
Many shuttered spaces already have new occupants in sight. The highly anticipated tiki bar Smuggler's Cove from Martin Cate will occupy the three-story premises of the erstwhile Jade Bar, The Parlor is moving into what had been Dirty Martini in the Cannery Building, and a new outpost of La Boulange will occupy what was once Noe Valley Pizza. In slightly confusing news, chef-owner Phillipe Gardelle, who'd been maintaining two French restaurants on Clement, moved Chapeau! into what had been the Clementine space. In the fullness of time, he might turn the old Chapeau! location into a wine bar and/or a French takeout spot. Full list of the shuttered after the jump.
• Chapeau! 1408 Clement (at 15th Ave.)
• Clementine 126 Clement (at 2nd Ave.)
(now combined into Chapeau!, 126 Clement)
• Cortez Hotel Adagio, 550 Geary (at Taylor)
• Dirty Martini 2801 Leavenworth (at Jefferson)
• Eccolo 1820 Fourth St. (at Hearst)
• Hime 2353 Lombard (at Scott)
• Jade Bar 650 Gough (at McAllister)
• Mikaku 323 Grant (at Harlan Place)
• Noe Valley Pizza 3898 24th St. (at Vicksburg)
• Pres a Vi 1 Letterman Drive (at Ruger)