SFoodie's roundup of tips, news, and rants from the week in animal-free eats.
• Tofutti is set to release a vegan ricotta. This is huge news and I pray it is delicious. The second that it hits the market, I'll make approximately one million lasagnas.
• The Feb. 26 East Bay Vegan Bakesale is coming! They need bakers and volunteers, so help out because nothing is quite as delicious as baking for a good cause. Well, maybe eating for a good cause. That's actually probably more delicious.
• Japanese "whale research" ships (read: murdering whales for no scientific purpose whatsoever) have called it quits for the rest of the winter because Sea Shepherd chased them out of the waters. Woohoo! What the Japanese whaling ships are doing violates the international moratorium on whaling and so their asses should be called the fuck out.
• SFoodie's own Tamara Palmer found the most amaaaazing-looking caramels ever and they're VEGAN. Currently only for sale at Other Avenues in S.F., but hopefully that will expand ASAP. I'll be eating these with a ferocity that makes Augustus Gloop look like the child that he is. Or was. Or never was. Whatever.
• The latest Good Housekeeping vegan cookbook is here! Yes! Now we can make chipped steak and serve it in Jell-O molds and it'll be VEGAN. God, I really need a traveling salesman husband who brings home clients to impress. I'd so Donna Reed that shit, you have no idea.