• It's Vegan Ryan Gosling! Pull your pants back up -- he's not actually vegan. It's just one in the sea of Gosling memes. Ryan Gosling is totally the house that Tumblr built. Anyway, this particular meme is pretty funny and you get to look at shirtless photos of Gosling, so since I have a Tumblr, I'm all for it!
• There's a new board on Pinterest (IT'S HERE TO STAY) about all the vegan foods at Trader Joe's! Learn it, live it, love it, add delicious shit to it, eat a lot, die fat and happy, be cremated and hope your ashes grow into something that's used in a Trader Joe's product. THE CYCLE IS COMPLETE.
• Herbivore has updated their menu (warning: PDF)! There's some new items, which is exciting, so I'll eat them all, but I just want to lodge a quick complaint about Herbivore: IT SUCKS. Okay, that's not totally fair, because I'm super thankful there are all vegan restaurants with some decent selections, but it sucks when you compare them to other veg chains like Native Foods and Veggie Grill that are vastly superior, and that's because they're owned by passionate people who are constantly updating their menus and working on the quality of their eats. I mean, why didn't Herbivore offer any holiday meals? I had to have a friend drive up a Native Foods Wellington from Los Angeles, okay? What is this, the 1880s? My point is, THANKS FOR THE NEW OPTIONS, HERBIVORE but also GET IT TOGETHER, HERBIVORE.
• The San Francisco SPCA is having a Valentine's Weekend Adoptathon! Everyone go and adopt all the dogs and cats! Unless you're a hoarder, and then: STAY THE FUCK AWAY.
• Vegan Bacon Guinness Caramels, because vegans are fatties, too!
• It's S.F. Vegan Happy Hour tonight! Everyone go! And join the Facebook group because sometimes I forget to remind you slackers, and I want you to go always because it's extra-delicious and filled with snacks and drinks and veg love, so GET UP ON THIS!
• Meave at Vegansaurus wrote about how HBO's Luck is killing hella horses to film their shitty, melodramatic show. Also, NEWS FLASH: even if they weren't killing horses, which they were, it's still nearly impossible for me to sit through "heavy" shows like that with "quality acting" and period costumes. I'm sorry, I tried to get into Boardwalk Empire, and you know what I got in return? Hella bored and sore eyes from looking at too much Buscemi. It's homework with boobs! Full disclosure: I genuinely liked My Two Dads. That is all.
• Rau Om's Tofu Misozuke is a spreadable vegan cheese that's HELLA DELICIOUS and previously only available hella far away or online! Now, it's going into San Francisco's Rainbow Grocery, and they're doing samplings this weekend! So get to Rainbow to buy some and eat all the samples and you're welcome.
• Methane-filled foam from pig shit is causing explosions in pig factory farms. From the article:
It is said that nature abhors a vacuum. Well, according to this report from the Minnesota Daily, nature also abhors factory farms. Large midwestern hog farms have for the last few years been battling a mysterious foam that is forming on top of their barns. In the worst case scenarios, the foam blocks ventilation ducts and the barns explode -- yes, explode -- killing the thousands of hogs inside.
As Jonathan Kauffman says, "This is the most disgusting story I've read all week," and I agree. Also, so sad and wasteful and add to that the footage that comes out of these places daily and, ugh, I mourn all the sweet animals who lived that life and died that way. Enjoy those pork sliders and pepperoni pizza this weekend!