• John Vanderslice and the Magik*Magik Orchestra married S.F. indie rock and S.F. classical music Friday night at the Herbst Theater. Their live performance of their gorgeous new album White Wilderness was spellbinding.
• S.F.'s Casey Schafer, a veteran of tours with M.x.P.x. and Lil Wayne, on how to be a tour manager: Act fearless, don't kill the band, don't let the band members kill each other, and don't take sexual favors from moms. Ever.
• Months after her free S.F. show, Britney Spears came to San Jose for a proper tour appearance. She was tighter, fitter, and more energetic — she even soared on wires over the crowd for a few songs. She seemed to lip-synch through much of her set, but hey, that's Britney, bitch.
• What's Metallica doing these days? Oh you know, just making an album with former Velvet Underground frontman Lou Reed at the band's San Rafael studio. Rolling Stone's David Fricke calls the pairing “a perfect fit.” We can't wait to hear it.
• Clarence Clemons, the saxman whose epic tooting helped many of Bruce Springsteen's greatest songs reach their climaxes, died Saturday at age 69. Clemons had suffered a stroke a week earlier following years of serious health problems. He died just as his signature bombastic style of sax playing was undergoing a revival — he even played on Lady Gaga's “The Edge of Glory.”
• After breaking his foot, Odd Future's Tyler the Creator forced the incendiary rap collective to cancel its S.F. show. The performance will be rescheduled; until then, look forward to a lot of idiotic tweets from Tyler about masturbation.
• Apple might be working on a technology that would shut off iPhone cameras when they're recording copyrighted performances like concerts. We're horrified at the Big Brotherness of this idea, but we're also furious at the people who insist on filming every live show they see. Maybe a low-tech ban on camera video at shows will do the trick?
• Shouted by man in “Repent or Perish” T-shirt at Britney Spears concert: “God hates Britney Spears … well, he probably likes her legs.”