UPDATE: The San Francisco Fire Department declared the gas leak resolved at 3:32 p.m. Monday, allowing residents to return home.
The gas is no longer flowing, but 19 homes in Bernal Heights are still deemed unsafe after an extended leak and explosion Monday morning.
Just minutes after firefighters received a call about a gas odor on Mission Street near St. Mary’s Avenue, an explosion hit 3987 Mission St. — a three-story residential structure — at 10:14 a.m., the San Francisco Fire Department says. Officials went door to door clearing 19 homes on College Terrace, Bosworth and Mission streets in the area just one block south of St. Mary’s Pub and Balompié Cafe.
#UPDATE: Gas leak triggers explosion at residence in San Francisco, according to fire department. No one injured, but people in 19 nearby residences forced to evacuate. https://t.co/b9LCG5Pow9 pic.twitter.com/xBZBtjj3B1
— NBC Bay Area (@nbcbayarea) November 27, 2017
By 10:31 a.m., PG&E workers arrived and began digging up the street to control the leak. The Department of Emergency Management, Department of Building Inspections and traffic control also responded to the scene while the SFMTA rerouted the 14-Mission and 49-Van Ness/Mission.
It took PG&E roughly three hours to turn off the gas leak here in the 3900 block of Mission in San Francisco.
Why so long? Waiting for Utility to take our questions pic.twitter.com/sMz7HKXBt5
— Mark Matthews (@MarkMatthewsNBC) November 27, 2017
SFFD says that PG&E workers stopped the leak around 1:20 p.m. and would need another three to four hours of residents avoiding the area to air out the buildings. The Mission YMCA, at 4080 Mission St., is open as an evacuation center.
The gas leak and explosion did not cause any injuries, SFFD says.