Between 1853 and 1861, Fort Point was constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to prevent entrance of a hostile fleet into San Francisco Bay. The fort was occupied throughout the Civil War, but the invention of faster, more powerful rifled cannons made brick forts obsolete. In 1886, the troops were withdrawn, and the last cannons were removed around 1900. During World War II, Fort Point was occupied by 100 soldiers who manned searchlights and rapid-fire cannons as additional protection to the submarine net strung across the entrance to the bay. Since then the fort has become a National Historic Site and a history museum, but that doesn’t mean the action has gone away. Each year, members of local re-enactment groups and Civil War organizations come together to perform historical demonstrations at the... More >>>