• We've been rounding up the best local albums of the year in various genres. Our favorites were made by Ty Segall, Main Attrakionz, Chuck Prophet, E-40 and Too $hort, Two Gallants, Synthetic ID, The Coup, and many more. Check out the full lists online.
• Drone-metal band Sunn O))) brought its spooky sludge to Mezzanine, and created an overwhelming experience. Loosely improvising onstage, the trio created a sound that grew to monstrous proportions, massaging the skin and slowing the mind like a cannabinoid.
• Guess what we did on the Coachella cruise? Hung out with Pulp's Jarvis Cocker, went wine-tasting with LCD Soundsystem's James Murphy, and got our nails done by the woman who does them for Alexis Krauss of Sleigh Bells.
• The good part: S.F. art-music collective the Residents are releasing a box set of all their musical and visual releases that — get this — comes inside an actual refrigerator. The bad part: it costs $100,000, so we can't buy one.
• Local DJ ChaunceyCC has a wish for the non-end of the world: Stop it with the stupid subgenre names already. "Fidget Step? Slime Wave? Trap Trance? Pffft, get real," he told us in an interview.
• Venerable alt-music mag SPIN announced that it won't be publishing a print edition anymore, because its new owners want to concentrate their resources online. We'll miss you, SPIN! Especially the fat, gorgeous issues of late.