Last week, SF Weekly and many, many other media outlets told readers about the much-anticipated puke-in set for this weekend at Dolores Park. Well, we hate to be the ones to disappoint those of you who were planning to toss your cookies -- but the event is a sham.
Chicken John told SF Weekly this morning that he made up the whole pukefest. His plan was nothing more than a publicity stunt to dupe the media into writing about the real issue: privatization of Dolores Park.
And it worked! Google "Puke-in San Francisco" and you will see just how much coverage he got.
"It's not my intention to puke, but to bring attention to the issue of privatization to the table -- which I did," he tells us. "I never thought it would work, but it did."
Chicken John said what he will really be doing on April 30 at 2 p.m. is gathering signatures from people in Dolores Park to support his cause, which is keeping food vendors out of the park.
The one-time mayoral candidate fired off a press release to media outlets, detailing the barf fest. He started a puke page on Facebook
and continued drumming up support for the vile event, where he claimed organizers would puke on the La Cocina food carts as they rolled in that day.
In those few days, Chicken John says he attracted attention from as many as 20,000 people, many of whom were repulsed by the notion of vomiting in the park -- as you might imagine.
"I understand it's a low road I have taken, but I had to do it," he tells SF Weekly
. "Not one person knew La Cocina was sneaking a trailer in the park."
So there you have it. We will be the first to tell you -- don't believe everything you read. Or maybe just don't believe everything that comes out of Chicken John's mouth.
Follow us on Twitter at @TheSnitchSF and @SFWeekly