The homeless man who was arrested earlier this week after allegedly stabbing two construction workers has been exonerated.
The District Attorney's Office explained that the incident didn't exactly go down as it was reported in the news. Initially, police had said that on Monday, a homeless man went to a construction site at Geary Boulevard and Larkin street to relieve himself. He was interrupted mid-stream by two construction workers who told him to leave. What was reported next was that the homeless man took out a knife and stabbed both workers, seemingly for no reason at all.
But here's what really happened, according to Alex Bastian, spokesman for the District Attorney's Office:
For starters, the construction workers weren't on the job at the time of the incident. They were celebrating Memorial Day having a barbecue at the site. During their shindig, the homeless man walked up and began urinating. The two partying told the man to leave and as he started to take off, the men reportedly escalated the confrontation and a fight started.
The homeless man allegedly pulled out a knife and stabbed the two workers in what appeared to be self-defense, Bastian told us.
"We discharged the case due to insufficient evidence," Bastian says.
In addition, the two men who were stabbed refused to press charges.
So now you know the two sides to one story.