Remember when January was the sleepiest month, the month that Christmas sweater with leather elbow patches was still in limbo in its box by the front door, as you took weeks to decide whether you'd keep it? The month when you slowly got back up to speed at work, catching up with e-mails after a Friday *sick day* or two? Forget it ― January 2011 was a month that hustled.
• Former Luce chef Dominique Crenn, owner of the cheekbones that launched a thousand blog posts, threw open the doors to Atelier Crenn: 3127 Fillmore, at Pixley
• Sleek international Italian coffee slinger Caffe Pascucci opened near AT&T Park to, uh, mixed reviews: 170 King (at Third St.)
• Sushirrito ― the name says it all: 59 New Montgomery, (at Mission)
• The Brixton: Score one for this stylish homage to classic rock and drinking for lining up Midi alums Michelle Mah and Jon Hara: 2140 Union, at Webster
• A restaurant with a carny theme? Hayes Valley got one all its own, with the opening of Straw: 203 Octavia (at Page)
• An Austro-Italian homage, in a part of town that should appreciate schnitzel and strudel: Leopold's: 2400 Polk (at Union)
Food trucks and recurring pop-ups