Arrest Made in SoMa Collision That Killed 30-Year-Old Man

Alexander Norton, an Oakland resident, died the next day.

The driver behind collision last month that killed a 30-year-old man has been arrested, police said Wednesday.

Alexander Norton, an Oakland resident, was walking on First and Howard streets on June 27 when a driver struck him. Kenneth Hansel, 50, remained on the scene and cooperated with investigators, police said. 

Norton was transported to the hospital and died the next day, according to the medical examiner’s office.

Investigators concluded that impairment was not a factor in the collision but still found the driver at fault. On July 18, Hansel was arrested for vehicular manslaughter and failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. 

Three more pedestrians have died in San Francisco since Norton. Jedidah Crews, 33, was one of three pedestrians struck at San Francisco International Airport on July 1 and did not survive. 

In the early hours of July 18, the driver of a big rig struck 54-year-old Michael Evans before dragging him to Fifth and Market streets. The driver fled but was later arrested. 

 And on Sunday, 39-year-old Benjamin Dean was struck and killed by the driver of Tesla running a red light at Taylor and O’Farrell streets. His wife, Kelly Dean, was seriously injured in the crash as the couple visited San Francisco from Clovis to celebrate their wedding anniversary.

All told, 22 people have died on San Francisco streets in 2019 — one less than during all of 2018. On Tuesday, street safety advocates called on city leaders to declare a traffic state of emergency in order to speed up safety measures to protect pedestrians and cyclists. During the rally on the steps of City Hall, they also called to investigate and prosecute drivers involved in a traffic collision. 

Police are still asking for information on Norton’s death, and may be given anonymously by calling 415-575-4444 or text ‘SFPD’ to TIP411. 

Tags: ,

Related Stories