City Hall Power Knocked Out by Fire

An electrical fire at City Hall knocked out power to the building last night, leaving much of the seat of government in the dark this morning — and a portion of the basement under water.

At around 9:30 last night — while around 300 guests attended a private soiree — the small electrical fire broke out in the basement. Department of Public Works spokeswoman Rachel Gordon said the blaze was isolated to a shoebox-sized portion of the large box housing wiring that takes in electrical power from outside the building and distributes it within. But while the fire was small, it disabled a major electrical conduit.

Sprinklers quickly extinguished the blaze, and fire crews additionally hosed it down, leaving about 2 inches of water in the electrical room, Gordon added (overnight crews had cleaned up the fire room by sunrise, however). When the alarm sounded, partygoers were quickly escorted out of the building.

Tags: , ,

Related Stories