Gas Leak Forces 400 Out of Polk Homeless Shelter

Residents poured out of the building on Polk and Geary streets before responders transported 14 people to the hospital.

At least 14 people were sent to the hospital and 400 evacuated when a gas line ruptured near a homeless shelter on Geary and Polk streets on Monday morning.

 A construction crew hit a two-inch gas main, filling the air with gas around 10:20 a.m. Monday and forcing about 400 people out of Next Door — one of San Francisco’s largest homeless shelters. Of those, 14 were sent to the hospital and another two were released from medical care after being treated at the scene near Mel’s Drive-In on Van Ness Avenue, according to the San Francisco Fire Department.

People could be seen outside the shelter coughing and breathing from oxygen masks, struggling with the leak. By 10:48 a.m., the gas leak stopped and they continued to make repairs.

By 3:02 p.m., SFMTA resumed regular service for the 19-Polk bus.

Though the contractor has not been identified, contractors like Ghilotti Brothers have been asked to stop construction after repeated gas leaks. Five gas leaks hit the same block of Upper Haight in 2015, Hoodline reported.

This article has been updated.

Tags: , , , ,

Related Stories