San Francisco's Ethics Commission decided Thursday night in a 4-1 vote that Sheriff-in-limbo Ross Mirkarimi engaged in official misconduct when he bruised his wife's arm during a New Year's Eve domestic dispute.
After the marathon meeting, which lasted 11 long hours, the commission was unable to agree on a recommendation on whether to remove the sheriff from office permanently. Ultimately, city supervisors will decide Mirkarimi's fate.
During the hearing, the Ethics Commission deliberated five issues:
- Did Ross Mirkarimi physically abuse his wife, Eliana Lopez?
- Is there evidence that the sheriff abused his office by threatening to “use his power?”
- Did he dissuade any witnesses?
- Did Mirkarimi intentionally deceive an inspector when she came to collect his firearms?
- Did the sheriff fail to support and encourage victims to give testimony?
In the end, the commission was in agreement about only one thing: that
Mirkarimi abused his wife — and this amounted to official misconduct.