There has been an explosion of research covering cannabidiol (CBD) for dogs. Consequently, there are numerous CBD products available on the market which can be safely administered to your beloved pet. Some of the most popular of these products are dog treats that provide a dose of CBD while also rewarding their good behavior.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) comes from the hemp plant and belongs to the group of chemicals known as cannabinoids. These are a vital component of the control and regulatory system known as the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS governs a whole host of crucial processes in the mammalian body, including:
- Sleep cycles
- Pain and inflammation
- Moods and/or mental states
- Cardiovascular health
- Metabolism and appetite
- The immune system
Benefits of CBD for Dogs
CBD may have a wide variety of positive effects on your dog’s body, including its ability to treat:
- Chronic and/or acute inflammation
- Epilepsy or Seizures
- Chronic and/or acute pain of joints
- Symptoms of Tumors and Cancer
- Stress & Anxiety
The FDA has not yet approved CBD for medical use, and, as such, it is not intended to prevent, treat, or cure any diseases or ailments. Nonetheless, the initial responses from pet owners look promising. Consequently, it has become one of the most popular health products on the market today.
What are CBD Dog Treats?
There are a variety of CBD products on the market today, including CBD for dogs. Some of the most effective are dog treats that are specifically designed for the following conditions:
- Stress and anxiety relief – These are formulated with L-theanine, chamomile, hemp seed powder, and CBD oil to decrease anxiety and stress.
- Joint and mobility care – These are formulated with turmeric root, boswellia, hemp seed powder, and CBD oil to reduce inflammation and pain while repairing damaged tissue and providing omega fatty acids.
- Heart and immune care – These are formulated with blueberries, flaxseed, hemp seed powder, and CBD oil to provide antioxidants (which protect cells from various kinds of damage) while strengthening the immune system and cardiovascular health as well as promoting a healthy coat and skin.
Because CBD is most effective when administered daily, these CBD dog treats can be used to train and reward your dog in between their regular meals. Each treat contains only 5 milligrams of CBD, so you can safely give them to your dog throughout the day as a way to motivate and positively reinforce good behavior.
What to Look for when Buying CBD Dog Treats
CBD is an exceptionally safe product, although it is best to purchase your supplements from a reliable supplier that ensures their products undergo rigorous testing. This includes controlling for:
- Pesticides – As the source of CBD oil, hemp plants have to be cultivated just like any other crop suitable for consumption. It is best to use a product that is 100% organic in order to ensure that no pesticides were used during this process.
- Potency – Using a product that has consistent amounts of CBD is best for the health of your dog. That means that each unit of CBD sold will have the proper dosage amounts (5 milligrams per dog treat, for example).
- Residual solvents – Carbon dioxide (CO2) is used when extracting CBD oil from the hemp plants. This is a “green” method and results in a final product free of harsh chemicals and toxins.
These various controls for the strength and purity of the final product should be conducted by impartial third-party companies in order for certificates of analysis (COAs) to be granted.
Finding the Best CBD Dog Treats in 2020
CBD is not only popular for humans but pets too. There are some good companies that cater to pets. Here are two premium brands that provide quality CBD pet treats.
These are 100% natural dog treats infused with premium CBD sourced from Colorado organic hemp farms. These treats are fully vegan and they are packed with human grade wholesome ingredients. They contain no GMOs, gluten, dairy, or animal byproducts.
Holistapet CBD treats come in three delicious varieties. Besides CBD each selection incorporates different natural ingredients and superfoods to optimize their efficiency towards specific conditions. Each bag costs $24.95 and will contain 150mg of CBD (5mg in each CBD dog treat). Here’s a list of their flavors along with ingredients:
Green Apple & Peanut Butter (Stress & Anxiety Relief): L-Theanine, Chamomile, Hemp seed powder, Peanut butter, Organic applesauce, Brown rice flower, Molasses, Cinnamon, and Coconut oil.
Pumpkin Spice & Cinnamon (Joint & Mobility Care): Turmeric Root, Boswellia, Hemp seed powder, Pumpkin puree, Brown rice flour, Molasses, Cinnamon, and Coconut oil.
Blueberry & Sweet Potato (Heart & Immune Care): Blueberries, flaxseed, Hemp seed powder, Sweet potato, Rolled oats, Brown rice flower, Molasses, Cinnamon, and Coconut oil.
HolistaPet is an established brand, they have preformed vigorous research and testing to develop these unique CBD dog treats. They provide lab report analysis of their products on their website.
This brand is well reviewed, they have knowledgeable customer service and they offer a 30 day 100% refund policy if for any reason you are not satisfied. On the HolistaPet website you can use their CBD dosage calculator to find your pets specific dosage. Although, you may want to consult with your veterinarian beforehand.
These dog treats are 100% natural. They contain no corn, soy, wheat, or dairy. FabCBD dog teats also come in three varieties to address specific conditions. Here is a list of the flavors and ingredients:
Peanut Butter and Apple (Calm & Cool): Oats, Peanut Butter, Apples, Tapioca Syrup, Coconut Oil, Passionflower, Chamomile.
Salmon Flavor (Skin & Coat): Oats, Salmon, Flaxseed, Tapioca Syrup, Coconut Oil, and Salmon Oil.
Chicken Flavor (Active Immune): Oats, Chicken, Flaxseed, Tapioca Syrup, Bone Broth, Coconut Oil, Turmeric, and Milk Thistle Extract.
FabCBD also lists the lab reports for their treats directly on their website. Each treat has only 3mg of CBD extract and the total amount is not listed on their packaging. FabCBD’s dog treats are natural but they are not vegan.
What Dosage is Right for Your Dog?
It is generally best to administer CBD under the guidance of your veterinarian, especially if your dog is receiving any kind of medical treatment or taking other medications. However, you can determine the proper dosage by using one of the following two formulas:
- A regular dose is ¼ milligram for every 1 pound of body weight (a 40 pound dog would get 10 milligrams).
- A strong dose is ½ milligram for every 1 pound of body weight (a 40 pound dog would get 20 milligrams).
Whatever dosage you decide to give your dog, remember that CBD is generally safe, natural, and has few side effects.